|Wednesday, January 14th, 2004|
|I have a crush on Forth
I don't know why, and I never find the time to play properly with it, but I definitely have a crush on Forth. Seeing this version of Forth implemented in Perl ( http://members.cts.com/crash/b/billk/pforth/
) almost.... I don't know.
I feel like I'm on the edge of something, but I don't know what that is. I have this same feeling when reading ATLAST docs (see http://www.fourmilab.ch/atlast/
) and I don't know why.
In the end I love Perl, and don't understand why I should keep thinking about some utterly unreadable language that's - to most practical purpouses - dead. Still - you know - you cannot control your heart....
|Over 15,000 impressions a day
In the last days, Popk seems to be serving over 15,000 text ads per day, with a nearly nil load average and no long queries at all. It seems to be working fine, and the number of served ads is always slowly but steadily growing. I'm glad it's working :-)
|Saturday, December 20th, 2003|
|I created my new txtAd
As long as it's not possible to host the txtAd directly on this site, I simply decided to use my PerlMonks home page as my main home page and host the Everything2 banner there. This way I'll give credits to the system. One of the thinngs I love wity Popk txtAds is that you can define an icon for your txtAd, so that a 32x32 picture of my cat Cicci appears there too.... :-) see http://popk.net/txtad/circ.php?c=10 Current Mood: awake
|Friday, December 19th, 2003|
|Last day at work
Today's my last day at work before Christmas. We ate panettone and drank spumante, as all the good people from Milan do. It's something a little annoying, sharing a private family rite with your colleagues, but we live in an age of darkness. Sometimes I wonder whether I could have developed a friendship of some kind with the people I work with every day, had I met them on different shores. But this is meaningless speculation. I always tried to keep my job out of the ways of my private life and not to interfere with my family and affections. But this year's almost over, and tonight I'll go to the theater! :-)
|Saturday, December 13th, 2003|
|Friday, December 12th, 2003|
|Tuesday, December 9th, 2003|
I have had no feedback on my proposal about a text ad exchange (like a web ring) for personal sites of everything2 users. If anybody's interested, we could start it easily. If you think there's something wrong with it, please let me know why. Thank you.
|Friday, December 5th, 2003|
|Clarifications on a text ads exchange for e2
The proposal of a text ad exchange system for everything2 works as following:
- a number of everythingians with a personal website join the circuit
- to join the circuit you simply add a piece of html on some of your pages
- every time someone visits one of those sites, an ad from one of the other sites is displayed. so (for instance) when someone visits my home page, they might see an ad for you own site
- every time an ad is displayed, you gain 0.75 credits. every time you have at least one credit, the system spends it by showing your ad on some other site. this means that credit allocation is fair (the more impressions you give, the more you have back)
- you'll notice that you don't gain one credit per impression you give, but only 0.75. The remaining 0.25 goes to the network's advertising and we use the revenues to foot the bills. as I'm an admin for the network, I'd like to donate this 0.25 credits (or part of it, surely all of it while we start) to a text ad about everything2.
- in the end, if 1,000 people se the text ad on your site, you'll have 750 impressions back for your own site that are shown on other everythingians' sites, and you donate 250 impressions to a text ad advertising everything2.
I think that - unless the circuit should get quite big in terms of impressions per day - I can talk other admins at popk
into donating 100% of leftover impressions to everything2.
In the end, you get more visibility for your own site and everything2 gets free advertising.
The circuit - it's almost empty, now - is here: http://popk.net/txtad/circ.php?c=10
|Wednesday, December 3rd, 2003|
|This is a text ad for Everything2
I just created the circuit for it. Feel free to join. You should see the filler ad, as by now there is only this page participating in the circuit.
|Tuesday, December 2nd, 2003|
|Text ads for Everything?
I'm thinking about creating a text ads circuit for Everythingians, as I'm an admin of a text ads exchange system and then donate the available system impressions to Everything2 when it gets back. I'll have to talk to other sysadmins into this, but we could probably find a reduced system ads options (currently they are 25%) or - say - one million everything2 impressions in general rotation within the circuit. What do you think about that?
|Thursday, November 27th, 2003|
|This thing here
Misses a way to send private messages among users. Or is there, and it's just me that doesn't know how?
Anyway, you may queue a message here.
|Thursday, November 20th, 2003|
|This is a test
Hi, just found this new space here. Guess I'll have to read a tutorial or something....